Having someone to love is FAMILY. Having somewhere to go is HOME. Having both is a BLESSING.
We ARE SO BLESSED!

Friday, March 13, 2009

ADOPTION UPDATE

Just how much drama can one little girl be a part of? WOW-WEE!
Just when it seems that we get it all figured out, there's a new twist to navigate, a new height to attain, another hurdle to jump and on and on it goes. Yes, one more time, there has been a new development in Nevaeh and soon to be born baby's case. Most of you know that Nevaeh is Native American/Hispanic. We are unable to say just "where" and "who" she is a part of as this information is considered to be highly sensitive, but Mark did ask and was granted permission to share this with you to ask for your prayers yet another time. Nevaeh's birth grandmother is full blooded Native American Indian. This makes Nevaeh (and new baby) 1/4 Indian. Though the grandmother was adopted out of the tribe when she was only 4 years old, she is a shareholder in the incorporation of the tribe. This means that the tribal council holds custodial rights to Nevaeh and soon to be born baby brother as they are close decendants. Though birth mom has indeed signed off her parental rights to Nevaeh and wants us to adopt her, the tribal council must now relinquish their rights. The concern of the tribal council is for the betterment of the tribe and there has been expressed disgruntlement as to the fact of losing so many of their clansmen. We have been informed that the tribal council is well within their rights to disallow the adoption and can demand custody of Nevaeh and baby. If this should happen, the state and county can do nothing. Even after the tribal council would sign off, we would have to wait 120 days, yes, 4 months, before we can finalize the adoption. This time period is to give them time to "change their minds." The unbelievable part of that scenerio to me is that when a parent signs away their parental rights, they are given 30 days to change their mind. The Indian tribe gets 120 days!
We have also been informed that when the new baby is born, we are no longer first to know that our baby is here. The case manager is required to call the tribal council to tell them baby has arrived and remind them of the intent to place him in our home, will they give their blessing? The council has the right to say "no" and come get baby from the hospital or even from our home when they get around to "getting here." Needless to say, our world has been taken and dumped upside down. Our May adoption is NOT going to happen. The earliest possibility at this point would be late summer, early fall IF the tribal council will sign off right away. The chances of that though, are slim. We have been made aware that the Indian tribes are a law unto themselves and operate on their own timetable. They can drag this out indefinitely. Our caseworkers have done everything that they can at this point. The charge casemanager has given all of the necessary information and forms to the tribal council via phone, e-mail/fax, and has even put a packet together and sent it via US Postal Service. Our case rests now, on their mercy. AND the mercy of our incredible GOD!! He WHO has the power to raise the dead, make the blind to see, heal the lame man and He who has touched my very own body more than once, HE--HE has the power to make man sign a document. God has already worked in incredible ways for Nevaeh's sake and I know He has not forgotten her. Yes! Have no doubts. I do ask "why?" And I struggle with my human emotions. How will I survive if Nevaeh should have to leave us? My God has not let me down one more time and has reassured me again that He is in control. Last evening as we were riding toward town, God reminded me through His Word found in
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans that I have for you, saith the Lord, plans of hope and peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."
I find my mind turning another direction now and have discovered my question has changed from "What will I do if Nevaeh has to leave us?" to "How could I ever make it without my God?"
And one more time I find it so obvious ever before me, God is so good ALL THE TIME!
As spring appears around me and rebirths the earth with new beginnings, the little green frog has leaped up to catch my attention reminding me that there is absolutely no other way to live than to

Fully Rely On God!

2 comments:

kristin said...

NOW THIS PIC LOOKS LIKE SHE COULD BE AUTUMN'S SIS!

Anonymous said...

Laura,
I left you a comment on my blog but felt I should tell you something before heading to bed. It's late!! Anyways, God gave us that VERY verse when praying for a daughter years ago! Ernie and I were amazed when we read the verse that you are leaning on at this time. MANY a time, I went to God and reminded Him that He had promised an "expected end". I so wanted to see an end to all the courts and so on. God's end so far has not been the end I was expecting but even so all the time God is good. God is good all the time! Our David is Cherokee and we went through this same thing. I will have to share with you later but they did release David for adoption to us. Be encouraged!! God DOES have you and Nevaeh close to His heart!!! Lisa