Having someone to love is FAMILY. Having somewhere to go is HOME. Having both is a BLESSING.
We ARE SO BLESSED!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Update!

For those of you who think these pics of my surgical sites are nasty and would rather not see them, I apologize. However, THIS is how I am easiest able to communicate with some of my family to whom I do not have the privilege to live close. Please just scroll past quickly.

I have had my follow-up visit back to the surgeon who performed my surgery. He is very pleased with the site on my leg where the skin cancer was removed. It has healed very well and in time, there will barely be a scar. The surgical site on my foot, however, is not responding as well. It is pictured below. The skin on either site of the incision died so it would not bond or heal in a way that would satisfy the surgeon. He is NOT pleased with the appearance of this site though there is not any sign of infection and it seems to be healing from the inside.

I have received clearance to try walking on my foot, but it is quite painful and the wound tends to bleed from the pressure. Thus, my walking is more of a hobbling limp. I do have a special gel pad the fits in my instep and surprisingly protects the incision quite well inside a shoe. I find that a pair of Crocs is the most comfortable choice of footwear right now. The surgeon wanted to try to stitch again to salvage the appearance but he could not find any loose skin to even make an attempt. I assured the surgeon that I do not care WHAT it looks like as long as the bad "stuff" is gone. It's on the BOTTOM of my foot and no one is going to see it unless I show it on purpose. He grudgingly left it alone and wants to see it again in a month. I am still waiting on lab results as the pathologist requested permission to seek a second opinion. This doesn't make me feel encouraged but I suppose I would rather know any bad news now. I've learned that ignorance is NOT bliss!

Immediately following my surgery, the nurse suggested that I get myself through this "thing" by thinking, "Cute flip flops! Really cute flip flops!" Several of my friends and family agreed with my nurse and suggested that I shop as soon as I was able and buy myself a pair or two to celebrate. I found these flip flops today and Nevaeh just thought they were beautiful! She wanted a pair to match! Of course, I've never seen matching mother/daughter flip flops unless you consider just plain colored ones. Nevaeh begged to wear them this evening and I was planning to wear them to Bible study here in the fellowship room. I told her that I needed them for a little while but that I would let her wear them later if she still wanted. She did NOT forget and as soon as I returned home after Bible study, she said, "Mom, if I take my socks off, can I wear your flip flops?" I said, "Absolutely NOT!" Are you KIDDING??!! I didn't say THAT! As you can see in the picture below, I just might have to go buy myself another pair of flip flops!! Now THAT would be a shame!

1 comment:

Kara Plank said...

hope you heal soon! LOVE your new flip-flops!!!!