Having someone to love is FAMILY. Having somewhere to go is HOME. Having both is a BLESSING.
We ARE SO BLESSED!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Travelin' To TLC

Daryl & Nevaeh
This is Nevaeh's HERO. She adores her big brother and listens for his voice and footsteps at all times. All dirt bikes are Daryl and anyone coming in our door (if she doesn't see them) is Daryl. This very morning, Nevaeh got up and told Daddy, "Bye-bye, Daryl." She ended up insisting all day long that we go bye-bye for Daryl and at one point she went and got my purse and drug it across the floor while saying, "Bye-bye, Daryl." We will see Daryl this weekend when we go to Florida for the commissioning service, then we will not see him for another three weeks. I don't know what poor Nevaeh is going to do!

This is right after we arrived at the airport before checking in Daryl's luggage. Do ya' like the party froo-froo I attached to the handle of Daryl's suitcase? He thought it was a little embarrassing but since his crazy but loving mother put it there, he would leave it. I wanted to make sure that he would have no trouble finding it when he went to baggage claim. Guess what! It worked. And he sent me a picture from his cell phone of his suitcase rolling around the belt before he picked it up!

We took time for a family pose before he left.

This is Chris (Clark) Lucas and myself. We were classmates in college. Music theory to be precise. Anyway, a couple of months ago, I received an e-mail from Chris, sharing that her oldest daughter was going on a TLC trip as well and needed to get to Florida. Chris wanted to know how Daryl was getting there. I had already purchased Daryl's plane tickets so I sent her a copy of his itinerary. She got on her 'puter and booked Tenee on the same flight. So Daryl did not have to travel alone. I think it was a great relief to both mom's to have this turn of events in the traveling arrangements. There's safety in numbers, you know!

This is Daryl and Tenee Lucas.
They were traveling companions to Florida. The interesting part of this for them was that this was the very first time they met. Imagine walking up to someone in the terminal and being introduced and heading off across the country together. But they managed quite well. They flew from Pittsburgh to Philly and after a two hour layover, boarded another plane and flew into West Palm. On the flight from Pitt to Philly, Daryl spilled half of his Coke on his lap! Tenee couldn't help but laugh. Then, of all things, on the flight from Philly to West Palm, Tenee spilled her drink on herself! Tenee's mom, Chris, "told" me that they have both been "baptized" and now are ready for service!

Daryl is in line and ready to board. Since Daryl is still 15, Mark was given a "parent pass" into the boarding area. That is how we were able to get these pictures.

Tenee is ready to board. While Daryl and Tenee were able to sit together on the plane, they ended up in different boarding lines.

They flew Southwest and were able to get round trip tickest for a little over a hundred bucks. I think Tenne's tickets cost a little more because hers were booked after Daryl's. Sometimes, I think the price is altered by the minute! My word! Oh, well. The price was still great.

Their plane.

After the kids boarded, Mark came out and we talked with Chris, Toni (another daughter) and baby boy (Oh, dear. I can't remember his name. And you should have heard Chris rattle through all nine of her kiddos names!!) for a few more minutes before heading to the parking deck. As we were climbing into our van, their plane flew overhead.
I have spoken with Daryl a couple of times since he and Tenee left. He is doing well. Arrived safely and without problems other than the soda spill syndrome. He "bumped" into an old friend Monday night while walking down the hall in the boys dorm, and he and JJ Paulus made plans to meet early the next morning. They went jogging on the beach together. Daryl called once more on Tuesday morning after his jog. He was waiting to be "trucked" to the land where they hold boot camp. Once the teens enter boot camp, there is no communication between parents and children. I'm fine with that. He's in good hands. He's in God's hands and we'll see him in just a couple days!!
Whooo boyo! Nevaeh just woke up from her nap crying for Daryl! Lord, help us!!

5 comments:

Chris said...

I love the way you wrote this up! Puts a smile on my face!

Evie said...

I am enjoying reading your blog. It is helping me to get to know you all better. We are praying for you all and the little girl in your lives. Trusting it will all work out for his honor and glory! That waiting period has to be hard- not sure how I would handle it if I was in your shoes!She is so adorable!!! Believing God will reward your faith and give her to you for keeps!!! Will we see you at camp?

Evie said...

I'm sorry! I should have signed my full name since you may not recognize me as just Evie. I guess I am too used to facebook and there being a picture to go along with the name!!! LOL!!
Evie Shiery

Anonymous said...

Laura, I am Marilyn Finch Weese, and live in Hobe Sound with my Mother, Ruth Finch. We are praying for the TLCers every day. Do you happen to have a sister-in-law Miriam (Hunter)? She was in Key West when our family was there, and we would love to get in touch with her. Let me know at my e-mail: marilyn.weese@gmail.com. Thank you and God bless!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when Carl and I sent Allana off on a tlc trip. She loved every minute of it. I was able to help at the boot camp in the kitchen. I loved working among the youth and for such a good cause. love Flo Kready